Crete is served by 2 airports
- Heraklio (Heraklion International Airport, “Nikos Kazantzakis”) IATA code: HER www.heraklion-airport.info
- Chania (Chania International Airport, “Ioannis Daskalogiannis”) IATA code: CHQ www.chania-airport.com
Distance to Rethymno from Heraklio is about 80 km and from Chania is about 60 km.
Travel between Crete and Athens by plane takes about 45 mins (to/from both airports).
There are three airlines with several flights a day from Athens to Crete.
Olympic Airways : www.olympicair.com – Tel: 0030 210 3550500 , 0030 28310 22257, 24333
Aegean Airlines : www.aegeanair.com – Tel: 0030 210 6261700, 0030 28210 63366
RyanAir : www.ryanair.com (flights only from Athens to Chania and vice versa)
There are also some direct international flights to both Heraklio and Chania.
At both airports there are local buses to the town center /central bus station KTEL (Heraklio or Chania), from where you can get a bus to Rethymno. The local transportation concerning the Heraklion International Airport is more frequent. As far as the local transportation of the Chania International Airport, buses follow the flight arrivals schedule (for the schedule, see below).
PLEASE NOTE that the last supraregional buses from both Heraklio and Chania central bus stations to Rethymno bus station are at 22:45 and 00:00. You can also get a taxi to come directly to Rethymno (to avoid taking 2 buses).
If you come through Heraklion airport
From Heraklion airport to Rethymno you have 2 options:
1) You can take a bus or a taxi from the airport to the Heraklion central bus station (KTEL), which is located nearby the harbor.
The bus stop is a couple of mins walk from the ARRIVALS building of Heraklion Airport (BUS STOP: leaving the arrivals building you head towards the exit to the main road and then turn the left). It is the most affordable transportation from the airport to the bus station KTEL.
Local shuttle buses to the bus station KTEL leave from the airport every 10 minutes from 6:00 am until 11:00 pm. [ATTENTION! Bus No. 5 does not run to KTEL]. Journey time to central bus station of Heraklion is around 20 minutes. Local bus phone number: (0030) 2810 245020
Alternatively you can take a taxi from the airport to the central bus station (KTEL), which costs approximately 10.00 – 12.00 €.
From Heraklion central bus station you travel to Rethymno by the supraregional bus (duration of the trip: 1 h and 15 min. Bus ticket: 8.30€). The timetable can be found at: www.e-ktel.com .
2) If you wish to go directly from Heraklion airport to Rethymno by a taxi, it costs approximately 100.00€-120.00€ (duration of the trip: 60 – 70 min.) .
If you come through Chania airport
From Chania airport to Rethymno you have 3 options:
1) There is a direct bus route Chania Airport – Rethymno (via Souda) and vice versa. Duration of the trip: 60-70 min. Ticket cost: 8€.
2) You can take a bus or a taxi from the airport to the Chania central bus station (KTEL). The bus stop is just outside the ARRIVALS building of Chania Airport and then rightwards. Journey time to central bus station of Chania is around 30 minutes.
The first bus runs at 6:30 am and the last one at 23:45 pm. That bus costs 2.50€. For more information please see the timetable. Alternatively you can take a taxi from the airport to the central bus station (KTEL), which costs approximately 22.00€ – 25.00€.
From Chania central bus station (KTEL) you travel to Rethymno by the supraregional bus (duration of the trip: 1 h. Bus ticket: 6.80€). The timetable can be found at: www.e-ktel.com
3) If you wish to go directly from Chania airport to Rethymno by a taxi, it costs approx. 90.00€ (duration of the trip: approx. 1 h)